Photo credit: Mustached.com
Welcome to Movember. It’s the month of mustaches and men.
Check out this tips for the hairiest month of the year.
This 5K race is being held in a variety of cities in the U.S. from Seattle to Chicago.
2. Prepare your face.
Exfoliate. Clean up your acne. Moisturize. (Yep, we said, it moisturize guys.) All of this will help before you get ready to grow your mustache.
But before have a face full of fuzz…
3. Plan the manscape.
No we don’t mean below the belt. Figure out what you want on your face. Then get your grooming products and tools—razors, scissors shaving cream and aftershave—ready to go.
To “mo like a pro” here are a few options:
- The Porn Star. Think Matt Dillon sporty the creepy in There’s Something About Mary.
- 1980’s. Watch Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball or Magnum, P.I.
- The Handlebar. Just watch Daniel Day-Lewis in the movie Gangs of New York or Johnny Depp in Mortdeca For directions, check out this how-to list from the ArtofManliness.com. Or watch this video from the Handlebar Mustache Club.
4. Watch a No-Shave November movie.
Who’s sporting the mustache? Here are some of our favorites:
- (Does it get much crazier than Sacha Baron Cohen?)
- Anchorman (Enough said.)
- Dodgeball (Ben Stiller in spandex and a stache.)
- Seuss’ The Lorax (You can bring your own Lorax stache, here.)
- Gone With the Wind (We don’t think Clark Gable would be the same without his stache.)
- The Cannonball Run (Think Burt Reynolds and Farrah Fawcett circa 1981.)
- Machete (Danny Trejo with his upside down U-shaped mustache.)
- Pirates of the Caribbean (Aka Johnny Depp’s craziest facial hair ever.) Or check out just about any other movie that includes pirates, Robin Hood, or old school Westerns including Tombstone (Kurt Russell) or Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (Robert Redford)
- Pulp Fiction (We’re not even sure what to call Samuel L. Jackson’s epic mustache that straight-lines into a fringe of a beard.)
- The Kid (Charlie Chaplin made his iconic.)
We’re not even started, so check out this list of 50 Best Movie Mustaches from Shortlist.com5. Sport the Stash, know your Movember history.
Start clean shaven and watch it grow.
Here’s what you should know.
The Movember Foundation started in 2003. Its goals: improve testicular and prostate cancer awareness, get men to be more physically active and improve poor mental health.
According to the charity, which has raised over $650 million and held more than 1,000 programs since it started. Remember this, a staggering number, 1 in 4 adults, will experience a mental health problem each year. The highest rate of depression is in 40-59 year old men and on average 87 men each day, kill themselves in the U.S.
Sign-up at movember.com.
From the box car to the rock star, here are some stache ideas to get you started.